Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My weekly update, sans the short story

I'm not sure anyone noticed, but I skipped the writing challenge I usually post on the weekends this weekend. The challenge was different than the normal ones and happened to be something I do all the time, so I didn't find it that challenging. It was to take someone from your past and write them into a scene or a story.

I think I've mentioned it before, but people, dogs, dragons - they're all based on someone or something from my real life. Granted, I usually give them magical powers, or make them a Hellhound, but I take my inspiration from the looks and attitudes of those I've met over the years. I won't say what book my husband listened to with me while I worked on proofreading, but he's been heard saying something like "she sounds just like you", and it wasn't one of the Avery books where set out to make the character my twin. All my leading females take traits from me, which in some places is really scary.

I like to think I'm a little creative, but if I had to start from scratch with each of my characters, I'd never get any work done. I just finished doing the rewrite on number three of the Avery books and had the opportunity to revisit some of my favorite characters in the story. I so want to just move on to the next one before I do more proofing on this one. The story is heating up in just about every direction. I'm hoping to have a bow on book three and get it up on Smashwords around the end of this week.

Before I head off to busy myself in order to fight the urges to move on to book four, I just wanted to say a big thank you to those who have started reading this old/new series. Picking up books I wrote two years ago has been a lot harder than I thought it'd be. I write so different now and there are times I'm not even sure what I was trying to get across. It's process, but I'll get through it and we'll see who's alive when the dust settles, hopefully sometime in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment